Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Purple Fiddle

The Purple Fiddle
21 East Avenue

P.O. Box 87

Thomas, WV 26292

Phone: 304-463-4040


After nearly a year-long hiatus, here I am! A few years ago my husband and I stopped at The Purple Fiddle to eat, on our way back from a weekend trip to WV's eastern panhandle. At the time my tastes were much different to say the least...I didn't even know what hummus was for cryin' out loud! Needless to say our meal was not favorable.

Today I was traveling alone, having met my in-laws at Blackwater Falls State Park, and I decided to swing by The Purple Fiddle for a quick dinner to go, and to give it another chance. I have not been taking my d60 anywhere lately as I need to order a new uv filter and lens cap, so you will have to settle for iPhone pictures.



The Purple Fiddle is located on the riverfront in Thomas, you can't miss it! They offer both indoor and outdoor dining - extremely casual. They routinely have live music, and I would imagine the place is lively at night.



The dessert specials of the day were a chocolate sin thing and Boston cream pie...they also had several flavors of locally made ice cream including fresh peach (which I got a scoop of and really enjoyed...very real peachy instead of artificial peachy, smooth and very creamy), cantaloupe, blueberry muffin, etc... Glass apothecary jars were filled with cookies (white chocolate cranberry) and various flavors of biscotti.

The beer selection was great, lots of microbrews...I wish I would have paid more attention to the selections but there were at least 20 different choices.






Decor is as laid-back as the employees...very comfortable, easy mismatched chairs, tables, dishes, tablecloths...but everything was cohesive somehow. It is the type of place where families, bikers, bicyclists, and solo-day trippers like myself can all eat at without feeling out of place.

I was on my way home so I thought a wrap would be the easiest thing to eat on the road. I went with the New River Train- roast beef, provolone, house-made hummus and veggies.






Great choice - very flavorful, though I should have asked for no onions (it had both green and red). The roast beef could have also been made in-house, it was thick and very tender. The wrap itself was the perfect texture, slightly chewy and soft.

I would definitely make another stop here, and would really like to catch one of the musical performances. Road trip anyone?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment