Friday, August 7, 2009

Parkette

Parkette
(Listed as "The Parkette" on the list)
Old Rt. 50/Old Bridgeport Hill Rd
Clarksburg, WV 26431
304.623.0155

This was my second visit to the Parkette, and I'll admit I went in a little skeptical; my original visit was somewhat of a disaster. It was a cold, wet night, the place was packed, and it took half an hour to get drinks and order and an hour to get our food and all 5 of us at the table were hungry!

I'm glad this blog gave me reason to give this Harrison County mainstay another chance. Serving the area for over 50 years, Parkette serves up classic diner fare like hot turkey sandwiches, cheeseburgers and perhaps the best cherry milkshake I've ever had. In true Harrison County fashion(read: lots of Italian Heritage!), they also serve several Italian classics.

The three of us dining, barely beat the lunch rush and had no problems getting at able at 11:30. There were a variety of daily specials, so many I don't remember them all, but I know the list included stuffed peppers because I debated ordering that, and a chicken bacon sandwich, which both of my fellow diners chose. I decided on a meatball sandwich and fries, something I remembered drooling over last time.

Our friendly waitress took our order and the place began to fill up. What you immediately notice when you enter Parkette, is that the place is spotless! You would never know how busy it gets because everything sparkles and the side dining room where we were seated was no exception. One thing I immediately noticed, and appreciated, was the family portrait on the wall of who I'm guessing were the original owner's children, alongside their individual portraits (perhaps senior pictures?). Family and community seem to take center stage at Parkette, as other decor includes framed jerseys from the restaurant's baseball team, and numbered prints of WVU's Mountaineer Field AND Marshall's Joan C. Edward's Stadium.

As the restaurant filled up, the volume level considerably rose, making it difficult to carry on conversation (it was reaaaaaallly loud), but after 15 minutes or so we had our meals and weren't interested in talking too much then anyway. ;-)

The chicken bacon sandwiches looked amazing. The chicken was plump and juicy and the kaiser roll they were served on looked very good. As they dissapeared, I'm told they tasted as good as they looked. We all got french fries and they were nice and crispy, but they were frozen crinkle-cut fries, so beyond getting them to the right crispy level, it is hard to be more than a frozen crinkle cut fry...they were good all the same.

I ordered a meatball sandwich (different from their meatball hoagie which is served
on a 12" bun with your choice of peppers)..and as I mentioned, fries. You should know that when you live in Harrison County, as I do, you will eat about a billion meatballs...remember this is home to the West Virginia Italian Heritage Festaval, and every restaurant offers their own version.

To cut to the chase, the meatballs were perfect! So flavorful and juicy, and perfectly seasoned. I would have liked a little more sauce, but that is perhaps my only criticism. The bread was so soft and perfectly toasted, and was a great textural combination.

I'm glad I gave Parkette another try; it was a great, inexpensive and tasty lunch. Personally I like weekend meals out to be more of an experience, but for a weeknight dinner Parkette totally fits the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment